[Iccrg] Submitting draft-irtf-iccrg-cc-rfcs-01 for IRSG review

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at nokia.com
Fri May 25 13:58:24 BST 2007

On 2007-5-25, at 0:20, ext Michael Welzl wrote:
> Any other concerns?

Gorry's email made me take a look at -01, which I hadn't read yet.

I was OK with -00, which was basically a straightforward survey that
categorized and summarized existing RFCs. (I didn't think that a
congestion control survey was the most important thing for ICCRG to
be working on, but if people were willing to put in the effort, that
was fine by me.)

I do think that the new text in -01 is a bit problematic. Looking at
the diff [1], several new paragraphs were added that go beyond what
I'd expect in a survey. The new text comments and sometimes even
speculates on the usefulness, applicability or deployment status of
the surveyed RFCs and IETF efforts. It does so without citing
sources, and seems to reflect the personal opinion of the authors.

Even though I personally agree with some of those statements, I'm
worried that there doesn't seem to have been any public discussion on
them in the ICCRG or the wider transport community. Or, for that
matter, a discussion on whether the ICCRG wants to change from
publishing a survey of congestion control RFCs to publishing a
commentary on such RFCs, which the changes from -00 to -01 have
resulted in.

Lars

[1] http://www3.tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/
draft-irtf-iccrg-cc-rfcs-01.txt