[Iccrg] Submitting draft-irtf-iccrg-cc-rfcs-01 for IRSG review

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Thu May 24 22:20:03 BST 2007

> IMHO, this document does not look ready to publish. I am also struggling
> a little to see which part of the Charter this addresses, and the
> intended purpose of this document, so I suspect the content or abstract,
> or both need work.

As far as I know, a IRTF RG can publish RFCs which are not
mentioned in its charter. Regarding the purpose, here's the relevant
part from the abstract:

--
The intent of this document is to be an informational
snapshot of the current state of Internet standards and other IETF

I agree that saying "the intent of the document is to be a document
which is XY" doesn't really say much; the purpose is clearer from
the second sentence - the intention is indeed to provide a starting
point for the future work of the research group, and we hope that
it will help to note gaps or open issues in current IETF standards.

I agree to rephrase the abstract, making this intention more prominent.

As for the content, I think that this part of the 2nd paragraph in the
introduction says quite what the purpose of the document is:

--
   When designing a new Internet protocol, it is therefore important to
   not only understand how congestion control works in TCP but also have

I'd agree to make the intended purpose more prominent in the
document - as I think that this text already says it quite clearly,
I'd appreciate if you could make a more concrete suggestion,
though.

> It currently seems to be a summary of the various RFCs produced by IETF
> TSV area. I suggest at least the tsvwg chairs need to review this (and I
> missed this stage - probably through overload, it was certainly not by
> intention).

I don't think that they *need* to review this, but it would surely make
sense if they did.

Any other concerns?

Cheers,
Michael