[Iccrg] flow completion times in uncongested systems

Sally Floyd sallyfloyd at mac.com
Mon Nov 5 23:35:07 GMT 2007

> - The rise time of a single flow to an empty systems is not very
> interesting, because it many measures the impact of slow start.

Actually, the flow completion time in an uncongested system can be
a quite interesting thing to measure, particularly if one is
evaluating one of the many proposals for start-ups faster than
slow-start.  (One of these proposals is Quick-Start, RFC 4782; some
of the others are discussed in Appendix A of RFC 4782.)

I would recommend having scenarios include the case of a
generally-uncongested link, as well as including cases with various
levels of congestion, with metrics including per-flow transfer
times, fairness, and aggregate packet drop rates.  This should
illustrate some of the good and potentially-bad aspects of protocols
with fast start-ups.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

RFC 4782:  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4782.txt