[Iccrg] update to cc-rfcs draft

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 14:55:10 BST 2007

Wes,

I'd just like to say I found the previous version of this draft extremely
useful - it is rare to have such a resource to ensure people don't forget
how much has already been done.

Below are a couple of comments on the wording of the justification for why
the scope avoids QoS & MAC (in 1. Introduction). I agree your scoping is
reasonable, I'm just saying it's been justified and described in a way that
I don't think is fitting...

"...

                            Similar arguments can be made for traffic-
    shaping, admission control, and other functions that are intended for
    QoS, and only side-notes for congestion control.

"

Even if you don't want to include all the QoS RFCs (which I think is a
reasonable scoping decision) I don't think you should try to make out the
distinction between QoS and congestion control is so clear-cut.

I suggest a distinction needs to be made between closed loop QoS (which is
surely NOT a side-note to congestion control) and open loop QoS (which is
built completely differently to congestion control).

Open loop QoS through provisioning (like classic Diffserv) is clearly easy
to separate off as a distinct field.
But admission control is closed loop (through the signalling protocol) and
directly notifies congestion at short time scales on each queue to the
application (ie admission is denied when resources would otherwise be
exhausted - congestion). So strictly, this draft should say its scope is
congestion control SOLELY for elastic apps (at packet granularity), and
congestion control for inelastic apps at flow granularity is out of scope.

This suggests even the title might need clarifying.

You only have to look at the pre-congestion notification (PCN) w-g to see
how congestion control protocols designed for elastic apps (ECN) can be
re-used edge-edge to create an admission control behaviour for inelastic
apps. If you wanted to point to this similarity, you could refer to the the
first w-g I-D on its architecture that was published 3wks ago:
         draft-ietf-pcn-architecture-00.txt.
See <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/pcn/> for more.

"

    A similar argument can be made for excluding consideration of the
    media access control (MAC) layer protocols used by the links
    throughout a path.  Although the MAC protocols implement various
    forms of resolving contention for shared links (and sometimes offer
    QoS services), these are also distinct from end-to-end congestion
    control.  Furthermore, MAC protocols are not typically discussed in
    the RFC series, but are defined in outside documents (e.g.  IEEE
    standards), since the IETF does not generally work on link layers
    themselves.  Few, if any, of the RFCs that describe mappings of IP
    onto various link layers directly discuss congestion control.

"
Certainly I agree QoS in the MAC layer whould be out of scope for the same
reasons it should be at the network layer...

But, as Tim Shepperd (correctly) argued at the last ICCRG mtg, congestion
can cause losses in queues at any layer. Also AQM like RED is just as
useful and possibly just as common in lower layer queues as in IP queues.
And not just AQM for drop. AQM with ECN is relevant in lower layers where a
network can be built.

Which brings me on to exceptions to the rule that the MAC layer isn't
discussed at IETF. For instance the tsvwg has just requested publication of
ECN in MPLS as a proposed standard:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls-01.txt>.

So this para really needs re-writing to say QoS is out of scope whether at
L3 or L2, but L2 notifying the endpoints using losses or ECN is in scope.
Obviously there will only be RFCs about specific link technologies if the
IETF is responsible for standardising that L2 technology (e.g. MPLS), but
as you've pointed out, there are RFCs giving design advice for how link
layers in general should interwork with congestion control (e.g. all the
PILC stuff you mention).

HTH

Bob