[Iccrg] Question on RFC 2988 - TCP Retransmission timer

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:06:56 BST 2007

Greetings Mark,

On 19/09/2007, Mark Allman <mallman at icir.org> wrote:

> First, if the performance is driven by the magnitude of the RTO then
> that is a more general problem than with the min RTO, I think.  We have
> devised much better loss recovery than relying on the RTO and so one
> would hope that RTOs are rare enough to not be driving performance.

True, but isn't RTO still required for windows less than 4 segments?
That is also the case in which resetting the window is least harmful.

Could the optimal tradeoff possibly depend on the size of the window
somehow, starting fairly agressive, and then plateauing for   cwnd > 8
  or something?

Sushant, perhaps you could see what impact that would have based on your traces.

Cheers,
Lachlan

(BTW,  the "it" which I was speculating shouldn't be an issue is the
presence of coarse grained clocks, stated as the reason for needing to
be conservative.  Jitter could still be an issue, but clock
granularity shouldn't.)

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA