[Iccrg] Question on RFC 2988 - TCP Retransmission timer

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at nokia.com
Thu Sep 20 13:01:00 BST 2007

On 2007-9-20, at 14:45, ext Mark Allman wrote:
>> On 2007-9-20, at 0:58, ext Sushant Rewaskar wrote:
>>> (ii) Reduce minimum retransmission timeouts to 200ms or lower
>>
>> did any of these traces include GSM or UMTS access links? Because
>> they have transmission delays that can be significantly higher than
>> 200ms.
>
> I am not sure I follow here.  Are you saying that the min RTO that is
> (/was) preventing some sort of bad behavior in networks with GSM or
> UMTS
> components?

Hm.

When I wrote the above, for some reason I was worried about this
causing spurious timeouts. But thinking about this again, it probably
won't in most cases, because it's the minimum that we're talking
about, i.e., what you round up to when the timeout is calculated to
be smaller.

(It might still cause spurious timeouts in some rare cases, such as
when the path delay suddenly jumps from < 200ms to >> 200ms, but
that's a corner case.)

Lars