[Iccrg] Heresy following "TCP: Train-wreck"

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Sat Apr 5 11:42:24 BST 2008

Dirceau,

At 21:29 04/04/2008, Dirceu Cavendish wrote:
>Regarding place in the network, I mean everywhere - I guess all, as
>per your question.

So then, a follow-on question is: if there are flows passing through
router R1 from a user, how does R1 take account of flows from the
same user not going through R1 at all?

IOW, I'm questioning whether the fairness question should be focused
on sharing out each link (whether between flows or users) as it has
been for the last n decades, or whether that was a distraction
because we should have been looking at how much traffic is crossing
trust boundaries between the principals (individuals, organisations,
network operators), and how much of that traffic is causing
congestion on /any/ other link. For instance, you have to be able to
bring swarmcasting (e.g. BitTorrent) into your fairness framework.

I think that's where Matt is going as well - moving the focus of
fairness to the edges (the trust boundaries).

Bob