[Iccrg] Heresy following "TCP: Train-wreck"

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 17:07:43 BST 2008

Comments below...

----- Original Message ----
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk>
To: Dirceu Cavendish <dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com>
Cc: Matt Mathis <mathis at psc.edu>; iccrg at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sent: Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:42:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Iccrg] Heresy following "TCP: Train-wreck"

Dirceau,

At 21:29 04/04/2008, Dirceu Cavendish wrote:
>Regarding place in the network, I mean everywhere - I guess all, as
>per your question.

So then, a follow-on question is: if there are flows passing through
router R1 from a user, how does R1 take account of flows from the
same user not going through R1 at all?

IOW, I'm questioning whether the fairness question should be focused
on sharing out each link (whether between flows or users) as it has
been for the last n decades, or whether that was a distraction
because we should have been looking at how much traffic is crossing
trust boundaries between the principals (individuals, organisations,
network operators), and how much of that traffic is causing
congestion on /any/ other link. For instance, you have to be able to
bring swarmcasting (e.g. BitTorrent) into your fairness framework.

<dc> The routing of TCP sessions is typically not under control of the application. Otherwise, I agree that it is difficult to enforce even the simple link level share of resources.

About BitTorrent type of applications, it would be nice to have some sort of fairness concept between these types of application, and across to other applications. But then, assuming there are N types of applications in the Internet (which I dont have to say N can be large), one would need to provide fairness definitions for N(N-1) cases.

So I guess the question is: where do we stop with the fairness issue. We can draw a parallel with security - how much paranoid are we about it :-)

Cheers,
Dirceu
</dc>

I think that's where Matt is going as well - moving the focus of
fairness to the edges (the trust boundaries).

Bob

Bob Briscoe, <bob.briscoe at bt.com>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196