[Iccrg] Small packets open issue: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Fri Feb 29 12:21:39 GMT 2008

Folks,

This draft relates closely to the open research issue on small
packets, which I assume will be part of our discussions in Manchester
(I'll be there BTW).
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt>

I believe we really should get our views on basic questions like the
relation between packet size and congestion sorted out better.

The draft has a split personality:
1/ a recommendation for now (afterall, it's an IETF TSVWG draft)
2/ stuff to set aside for future research (Section 7)

Section 7 "Open Issues & Next Steps" is devoted to discussing open
issues concerning packet size & congestion. Complementing
draft-irtf-iccrg-welzl-congestion-control-open-research-00.txt, it
goes into depth on a couple of aspects of the issue, rather than
trying to identify the breadth of issues.

Having written this, I now have a list of sub-questions to the question
"What type of drop was it?"
- transmission loss *OR* congestion *OR* policing?
- packet-rate congestion *OR* bit-rate congestion?  <<<--- this draft

I argue we should solve all these problems at once, not just
"transmission vs congestion" on it's own.

I originally wrote the draft after I went through the welzl-eddy
survey of cc RFCs to identify those RFCs with gaps/problems. I only
found a couple. This draft is designed to fill a gap in the RED
manifesto (RFC2309), which is also needed now for guiding the
pre-congestion notificaton algo work in the PCN w-g.

Links and outline of changes are in the mail to tsvwg below.

Cheers

Bob