[Iccrg] Best congestion avoidance algorithm

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 20:41:14 BST 2008

Greetings Adam,

2008/7/9 adam maxiaodong <adam.maxiaodong at gmail.com>:

> But why fairness and friendliness are equally important?
>
> I though all those congestion algorithms are already intra-protocol fair
> (otherwise, it will be a design flaw and won't get implemented)

Even Reno isn't intra-protocol fair (unless RTTs are equal).
Algorithms get implemented in Linux because someone takes the effort
to implement them, not because they have been shown to be good.

Lars is absolutely right that assessing based only on throughput is
missing the point of congestion control.

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA