[Iccrg] SSDT Scope

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 20:25:04 GMT 2008

Injong,

I did not mean to say that this is a problem of SS ONLY. TCP is also biased to rtts...
In case of SS, there is a cwnd size over which the source becomes effectively limited by its interface speed, not the cwnd value, any longer. And the larger the RTT is, the higher this value becomes.
So, sessions with shorter RTTs will achieve this "interface speed" ceiling sooner than later, hence SS bias towards shorter RTT sessions...

Also, in my view, we do not have a MAIN problem as yet. All we are trying to do is to come up with a laundry list of SS limitations. We may not be able to work on all of them, and hence it is important to discuss the relevance of the issues as they come up. I have my preferences, and I certainly would rank the multiple segment losses, non-smooth transition between SS and CA higher in my list. But it also bothers me when experimenting with multiple RTT sessions, and one grabs most of the bottleneck baidwidth, starving others.

Dirceu