[Iccrg] SSDT Scope - summary

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:08:57 BST 2008

Greetings Dirceu and Michael,

1. I agree that resuming after "application constrained" is a more
clear-cut case for more rapid increase.  If we can improve that case,
that is already a win.  (BTW, Sally was the one proposing quadrupling.
 My point was that linear increase avoids the excessive overshoot that
comes with exponential increase, be it quadrupling or doubling, while
simultaneously giving a rapid initial start.)

2. It isn't clear to me that the possibility of path changes is a
sufficient reason not to use better slow-start after timeout.
2a) We still start from a low rate and build up, stopping if we get a loss
2b) Most route changes will be between "similar" links -- like
rerouting within a backbone.  We'd only have problems if, for example,
we were forced off a GbE link onto an ADSL backup link
2c) Even if we do overshoot significantly, we'll get a stack of losses
and time out again, but this time with a reduced  ssthresh.

There may be a smarter way to make use of the fact that we have *some*
information about probability distribution of the BDP.

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA