Heresy in Minneapolis (was: Re: [Iccrg] Heresy recapped)

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 19:15:39 GMT 2008

Matt & I have been having a side conversation about this.

In summary, we agree on what we don't want, but there's less
consensus on the path ahead.

I'd like to suggest that those interested in what the IETF needs to
do about relaxing TCP-friendliness make sure they're around in ICCRG.
I've bcc'd a few folks who I suspect will be interested but might not
naturally look in on ICCRG.

I haven't put this to the r-g chairs, but I imagine a discussion will
start in response to Matt's talk, and might need some time to adjorn
to a bar afterwards (there's one more session before the end of the
day afterwards tho). Perhaps we'll get together a truly ad hoc Bar BoF :)

I know Matt is also talking on this in TSVWG & TSVAREA, but I imagine
ICCRG ought to be where any initial activity migrates to (& I think
Matt agrees).

My interest is that I believe TCP friendliness has become a
self-imposed barrier to innovation. What's the point of having the
e2e principle if you stop yourself and everyone else using the
freedom it gives on some dodgy grounds you can't really justify?

See "Problem Statement: Transport Protocols Don't Have To Do Fairness "
<draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-01.txt>

Bob