[Iccrg] Re: Heresy in Minneapolis

Lisong Xu xu at cse.unl.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:21:14 GMT 2008

Bob,

Thank for writing such an interesting and important draft!

After reading it (quickly), it seems to me that the draft focuses on the
fairness between different users. I agree that the fairness between
different users is important. But I believe that TCP friendliness is
proposed not only for the fairness between different users, but also for
the fairness between different applications.

So my question is while "volume accounting" helps on the fairness
between different users (e.g. single connection vs multiple connections,
active vs non-active), will it also help on the fairness between
different applications (e.g. FTP vs VoIP, BitTorrent vs Joost)?

By the way, we are also working on how to relax the traditional
definition of TCP-friendliness. Currently, we are focusing on the impact
of UDP-based applications on TCP-based applications. You can find more
information here http://csce.unl.edu/~xu/research/stochasticTCP.html.

Thanks!
Lisong

--