Fwd: [Iccrg] Meeting in Tokyo, with Pfldnet, 20 May

Matt Mathis mathis at psc.edu
Mon Apr 6 21:08:04 BST 2009

I suggest that we start this conversation on the list...

As I see it, the first question is just trying to inventory the dimensionality
of the transition space.  Some possible items (not in order):

Getting the IETF to agree on a new standard ECN
In the network:
         Turning on ECN marking
         [NOT] Deploying rate fairness
 	Updating marking algorithms to a new operating regime
Updating TCP (etc) receiver behavior in current stacks:
         From one ECN signal per RTT to counting signals per RTT
Updating TCP (etc) sender behavior in current stacks:
 	Add RE-ECN marking
 	Transition Congestion control from 1/sqrt(p) to 1/p
 	     How can we manage the co-existence?
 	Adding a weight parameter to CC and the TCP API
 	Getting OS vendors to turn ECN on

Note that several of these should be more finely subdivided, and I am missing
a bunch such as enforcing RE-ECN at borders as well as other potential
inhibitory deployments.

Bob can you extend the list?

At this stage I would add items (and not replace existing items) even if they
are not orthogonal.  It would be better to make the coverage as complete as
possible even if some of the items are redundant.

One task for the meeting would trying to imagine a partial ordering on the
smaller steps, such that each one is motivated by the preceding steps, and not
excessively inhibited by any negating technology.

Thanks,
--MM--
Matt Mathis     http://staff.psc.edu/mathis
Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529
Evil is defined by mortals who think they know
"The Truth" and use force to apply it to others.