Fwd: [Iccrg] Meeting in Tokyo, with Pfldnet, 20 May

Bob Briscoe rbriscoe at jungle.bt.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 19:10:27 BST 2009

Matt,

At 21:08 06/04/2009, Matt Mathis wrote:
>I suggest that we start this conversation on the list...
>
>As I see it, the first question is just trying to inventory the
>dimensionality of the transition space.  Some possible items (not in order):
>
>Getting the IETF to agree on a new standard ECN

I don't see changing ECN as necessary.

>In the network:
>         Turning on ECN marking
>         [NOT] Deploying rate fairness
>         Updating marking algorithms to a new operating regime

We've been at great pains to ensure the evolution path keeps
forwarding elements with ECN as is. We have enough problems getting
ECN into L2 queues as it is without changing the target mid-stream.

We had worked out an early version of re-ECN in 2003. But until we
worked out a way to retrofit it to the Internet without requiring
forwarding elements to be changed, we didn't come to the IETF/IRTF.
That's why we first appeared in late 2005, when we had worked out how
to introduce re-ECN only requiring a change at the sender.

If we have to get a new marking behaviour it will never happen
(IMHO). The chances of getting r queues on a path all upgraded if
each is upgraded with independent probability p is p^r. Which for
small p (say 10%) and even reasonably small r (say 5) is vanishingly
small (0.001%).

But anyway, what makes you imagine we need to change network ECN behaviour?

>Updating TCP (etc) receiver behavior in current stacks:
>         From one ECN signal per RTT to counting signals per RTT
>Updating TCP (etc) sender behavior in current stacks:
>         Add RE-ECN marking
>         Transition Congestion control from 1/sqrt(p) to 1/p
>              How can we manage the co-existence?
>         Adding a weight parameter to CC and the TCP API
>         Getting OS vendors to turn ECN on

I see a much easier transition. Already networks allow all sorts of
end system behaviours, while generally limiting users who are heavy
overall. They usually define heavy as lots of byte volume at peak times.

For me, there is no problem moving from TCP-friendly to some other
definition of fairness, because no *network* uses TCP-friendly as a
guiding star anyway. That star was only followed in IETF-land and in
the research community, so they are the only lands that need to
remove TCP from their mind-set. And, as you heard from the hum in the
transport area at San Francisco, those in the room at the IETF seem
to have abandoned TCP-friendly already :)

Certainly, there are as many reasons for why no-one hummed for
TCP-friendly as there are people. And as many views on what direction
we should take instead. But IMHO we don't need to worry about
introducing something that's 1/p, rather than 1/sqrt(p), per se.

We do have to avoid introducing something that
a) continually ratchets up relative to competing transports (no
stable equilibrium)
b) reduces the share of existing TCPs to near-nothing under normal
operating conditions.

To me, that's a problem of choice of a constant, not the shape of the
response curve.

>Note that several of these should be more finely subdivided, and I
>am missing a bunch such as enforcing RE-ECN at borders as well as
>other potential inhibitory deployments.
>
>Bob can you extend the list?

I'd rather start a route plan that sets off in a different initial
direction to get to the same eventual end point. It starts in the
policing direction the industry is already taking. It allows a lot of
leeway and slop on the way.

1/ Get operators to understand the benefits of moving from policing
volume to policing congestion-volume, initially by counting
congestion locally at congested resources (ie without transparency of
policing to the end-user, which they don't care about now anyway).
They can make this move unilaterally.

We're starting this in the MIT-based group I mentioned.

2/ Develop new (1/p) transports with weight (constant of
proportionality) set low, to be close to equal rate with a competing
TCP flow under 'average' conditions.

Current volume policing will approximately incentivise these
transports not to set their weight too high without some special
arrangement (eg. paying more), merely because they will otherwise
transfer lots of volume over time and get stopped.

Where there are special arrangements (experiments and real life),
these transports can be used for hi-speed by setting their weight to
where you would want it set eventually. They will create a lot more
loss/ECN, and go a lot faster, than competing TCPs, but that's the
intention - only for where there's plenty of capacity that TCP isn't
using well.

On low capacity paths where such hi-speed isn't appropriate, it's up
to operators to limit users, which they have to do today - based on
volume or per-user rate.

3/ A missing piece is a signal from policer to transport, so the
transport knows when loss is because it has tripped a policing
trigger (or close to it) rather than just experiencing congestive loss.

I've recently worked out half an idea for an in-band signal, but it
uses a re-ECN codepoint - we'd need something for today first.
Preferably in-band, so it just works. I think Dave Oran has ideas in
this space too.

4/ In parallel, define an experimental extension header for re-ECN in
IPv6 only.
Reason: experiments are no longer allowed with IPv4 header fields
(RFC4727), even tho the specific field re-ECN needs (the evil bit)
isn't mentioned.

5/ Deploy experimental boundary policers using the congestion-volume
info provided by re-ECN (v6)

As operators protect off their v6 networks with edge congestion
policers, they can remove all the other interim ad hoc policing stuff:
- volume crossing the trust boundary
- rate crossing the trust boundary
- congestion at specific resources

The main difference is that policing moves to being based on a
transparent metric that all sides can see and trust (re-ECN marks).
And the metric represents marginal cost of usage rather than very
poor ad hoc approximations. A competitive market is trying to drive
providers to cost, so this will be a natural end-point that the
invisible hand of the market will want to drive the Internet towards.

6/ Apps find they can start increasing the weight of the new
transports defined at #2 without tripping off operator alarms (#3). So they do.

7/ If the experiments in v6 are successful, one assumes it will
become de facto used in v6. Then we need to define re-ECN for IPv4 too.

8/ Let new cogestion controls evolve however the hell they want
within the new incentive framework that encourages responsiveness to
congestion and enforces it in extremum. There will be good reason for
transports to respond as (1/p), but we don't have to mandate that.
Any response (1/p^b) is OK (0 < b <= 1). We want to allow new apps to
evolve in the mix. But the IETF/IRTF needs to define best practice
and some good generic transport(s).

______
As you can see, overall this is a more liberal path, which I believe
better matches the way networks and their customers will push each
other naturally.

My working model is that no-one will do what the IETF mandates, but
they might use what the IETF provides if it is in their interests for
interworking. The IETF only provides the tools for the battle, not
the behaviour guidelines.

Bob

>At this stage I would add items (and not replace existing items)
>even if they are not orthogonal.  It would be better to make the
>coverage as complete as possible even if some of the items are redundant.
>
>One task for the meeting would trying to imagine a partial ordering
>on the smaller steps, such that each one is motivated by the
>preceding steps, and not excessively inhibited by any negating technology.

We have different views on the ordering of the big steps to deal with first :)

Bob