[Iccrg] Draft Report - Study of Proposed Internet Congestion-Control Mechanisms

Saverio Mascolo saverio.mascolo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 16:14:38 BST 2009

dear kevin,

there is a lot of litearture (and results)  that you are not aware. only few
points:

1. TCP scalable does not work at all! If you try few connections (few as 3
or 4) you will get starvation of flows. This TCP cannot be used because it
does not work not because of efficiency.
2. with TCP you should consider reverse traffic, always, due to the effect
on ack, which in turns drive the TCP

saverio

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Kevin Mills (comcast) <
KevinMills at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> On May 20, 2009, I briefed the ICCRG on NIST research related to modeling
> and analysis of large distributed systems. Recall that as a challenge
> problem we investigated several Internet congestion-control mechanisms
> proposed to replace TCP. I attach our conclusions related to the
> congestion-control algorithms that we studied. A more-or-less complete
> draft
> of the study (including our supporting data and analysis) is now available
> for public review and comments. If you have the time to look this over and
> provide feedback, then I would appreciate it. Also, feel free to distribute
> this information to others who you think might be interested.
>
> Here is the URL:
>

> http://www.antd.nist.gov/Measurement%20Science%20for%20Complex%20Information
> %20Systems_files/ICC-study-Draft.htm<http://www.antd.nist.gov/Measurement%20Science%20for%20Complex%20Information%0A%20Systems_files/ICC-study-Draft.htm>
>

> Kevin
>
> NIST
> 100 Bureau Drive Stop 8920
> Bldg. 222/B218
> Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8920
>
> Tel: (301) 975-3618
> Fax: (301) 975-6238
> email: kmills at nist.gov
> web: http://w3.antd.nist.gov/~mills <http://w3.antd.nist.gov/%7Emills>

Prof. Saverio Mascolo
Dipartimento di Elettrotecnica ed Elettronica
Politecnico di Bari
Via Orabona 4
70125 Bari
Italy
Tel. +39 080 5963621
Fax. +39 080 5963410
email:mascolo at poliba.it <email%3Amascolo at poliba.it>

http://c3lab.poliba.it

This message may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.
 If you are not the intended recipient of the message, please destroy it.
Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, or copying of the material in
this message, and any attachments to the message, is strictly forbidden.