[Iccrg] congestion control and visability to the user

Damon Wischik d.wischik at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 08:09:35 BST 2010

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> The core
> router world is more and more going to smaller buffers (< 50ms, often
> much lower than that) which makes WRED/ECN less and less usable.

Could you explain this? I thought that ECN was more and more useful, the
smaller the buffer. The idea is to run a virtual queue, with capacity
e.g. 90% of the link speed, and to mark packets when the virtual queue
builds up. This way, the link should be able to maintain a stable
utilization of about 90%, and the flows should never see packet drops.

Of course, I'm assuming that the link is congested. Your other point was
that core links should never be congested.

Damon.