[Iccrg] RE: [conex] ECN in TCP and CWND

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Mon Aug 22 14:04:16 BST 2011

Hi Ingemar,

I believe there was a very similar question recently in TCPM, revolving around TCP-NCR, i.e.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tcpm/current/msg06528.html

My summary was that RFC5681 does allow cwnd to increase whenever an ACK acks new data (as would be the case with ECN); however, the consensus back then was that cwnd should not increase during "exceptional" events (reordering, loss recovery, ecn rtt), even though that may hinder tcp from throttling up when that may be safe...

OTOH, if cwnd is held constant during such events, particular loss recovery may not complete without RTO (and subsequent slow start), or cwnd may reduce to (and kept at) 1 segment for extended periods of time...

But your observation, that many implementations will actually increase cwnd after the cwnd reduction event, was made then too.

Further note, that this particular behavior may get addressed with draft-mathis-tcpm-proportional-rate-reduction-00, as the cwnd reduction will be spaced out over ~1RTT -  basically a new ACK will not necessarily trigger the sending of a new data segment (and not increase cwnd), when PRR is active.

But you may want to take this question to the tcpm group too...

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger