[Iccrg] Re: [tmrg] Fwd: An aggression metric?

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:00:36 BST 2011

Greetings,

Many new TPC variants are sensitive to things other than the average
loss rate.  For example, CUBIC depends heavily on the burstiness of
the losses, while LEDBAT and CTCP also depend on delay.

It is difficult to find a fundamental "congestion p(t)" that reflects
the notion of congestion seen by all flows.  Steven Low and Kevin Tang
presented some theoretical work on this in INFOCOM 2005.

The notion "congestion = average loss rate" is already too entrenched
IMHO.  It would be great to be able to measure aggression, but a
simple scalar (or even a scalar function of scalar congestion measure)
may not add much insight.

$0.02,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures (CAIA)
Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia