[Iccrg] Can TCP stay in slow start 'for ever'?

Tim Shepard shep at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 9 13:25:39 BST 2011

Bob,

I believe RFC 2861 (IETF status "EXPERIMENTAL") is on exactly this topic.

There's also the "Restarting Idle Connections" section in RFC 5681
(IETF status DRAFT STANDARD), but from my quick re-read of that
section just now that does not seem to fully answer your question.

(And there may be more relevant RFCs to point at that I'm not aware of
 at the moment.)

I'm not sure what modern TCP implementations actually do about this.
But I know there has been some awareness of this issue before.  If you
don't get a complete enough answer on this list, you might also want
to ask on the tcpm mailing list.

			-Tim Shepard
			 shep at alum.mit.edu