[tcpm] [Iccrg] Re: ECN feedback discussion

Emmanuel Lochin emmanuel.lochin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:54:31 GMT 2012

Sorry but "none" means TCP? Because I use ECN (I take my network
engineer hat). And I am not the only one ... at least all my
sys/network admin colleagues are using it too. I use it to take QoS
decisions and to collect statistics on my network (the rationale of
using a counter comes from this observation).

Ok, ECN might be not used inside the whole network but who cares? All
my core devices are ECN compliant so why not using inside my own
network?
We know, following "The power of explicit congestion notification", A.
Kuzmanovic, Sigcomm05, that even a partial deployment of ECN brings
out benefit for the end-user. My GNU/Linux stack does not react to
ECN? Not a problem ... my access network does.

On my side, I use specific mechanisms conjointly with ECN inherited
from the QoS epoch. For instance, I can shape ECN feedbacks to slow
down connexions or to give a delay penalty to a specific flow.
Basically I use ECN like an "alert".

The problem is that we do not propose the right tools to operate with
ECN. ECN* was an attempt, Re-ECN is also a good example of a practical
usage of ECN.

Emmanuel