[tcpm] [Iccrg] Re: ECN feedback discussion

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Fri Nov 9 17:02:31 GMT 2012

Hi,

Yes I meant TCP. Sorry if my message got across as meaning "ECN is
useless". This is certainly not what I was trying to say: my point is,
we're perhaps facing a chicken-egg problem where operators won't have
much incentive to support ECN as they probably don't see many ECN-
capable packets in their path.

I'm all for changing that!

 From anecdotal evidence (including yours, based on the email below!)
as well as the IMC'11 paper:
Measuring the State of ECN Readiness in Servers, Clients, and Routers
http://rbeverly.net/research/papers/ecn-imc11.pdf

it seems to me that turning on ECN support in general won't cause you
harm (although it's apparently common to have it disabled somewhere
along the path). I think this was perhaps different in the past.

Cheers,
Michael