[Nets-seminars] First Nets Seminar of 2006

Felipe Huici f.huici at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 12:30:56 GMT 2006

The next nets seminar will take place on January 23rd (Monday!) from 4 to 6
pm in room 6.12:

*Speaker*: Nina Taft

*Title*: The evolution of traffic matrix techniques and applications: past,
present and future.

*Abstract*:In this overivew talk, we summarize how inference techniques to
estimate traffic matrices have evolved, what we have learned along the way
in terms of modeling of origin-destination (OD) flows, some emerging
applications of traffic matrices, and lastly, where research in this area
might lead to next. We can taxonomize this history into generations and
categorize solutions as either first, second or third generation techniques.
Each generational step has been motivated by trying to obtain additional
data to incorporate in an inherently ill-posed problem. Incorporating
additional sources of data requires a model to capture the information in a
way that is useful to traffic matrix estimation. This body of research has
thus resulted in the development of a number of interesting traffic models
for origin-destination flows. Modeling such flows presents additional
challenges beyond the traditional flow modeling, as it now becomes important
to incorporate both spatial and temporal correlations. In addition to
producing interesting OD flow models, traffic matrix reseach has also lead
to an increase of applications using traffic matrices. These application
areas, that include routing analysis and network security, illustrate how
new research problems can be enabled by having a traffic matrix available.
In order to further enhance the use of traffic matrices for other research
activities, we show there is a need to be able to generate traffic matrices
synthetically. Having such traffic descriptions would enable a much richer
ability to do benchmarking and performance evaluation of any traffic
engineering solution. We summarize the problems of synthetic traffic matrix
generation that turns out to be quite challenging.

*Biography*: Nina Taft is currently a senior researcher at Intel Research
Berkeley. Her main research interests at Intel focus on traffic monitoring
for network security, end-host profiling, anomaly detection as well as
traffic modeling and network-wide traffic generation tools. Prior to joining
Intel, Nina worked at Sprint for 5 years in the IP Group working on backbone
Internet measurement. She conducted research in various areas such as
traffic matrix estimation, traffic characterization, routing protocols and
IP-over-WDM network design problems. Prior to Sprint, Nina worked at SRI
International for four years. There her work focused on congestion control
and QoS routing in ATM networks. She received her PhD degree from the
University of Berkeley in 1994 on traffic characterization. Nina is
currently serving as an associate editor for the IEEE Transactions on
Networking (ToN) journal and is a member of the ACM Internet Measurement
Conference (IMC) steering committee.
Thanks,

Felipe