[Nets-seminars] Talk in EE GS/302 4pm 26th November

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Wed Nov 19 22:50:42 GMT 2008

Last talk for this term will be on 26th November (next Wednesday) by our
own Lefteris Mamatas

Title:
Differentiating Services with Non-Congestive Queuing (NCQ)

Abstract

Typical scheduling paradigms of packet networks do not match well the
requirements of non-congestive applications, which transmit minor data
volumes but suffer, however, major queuing delays. Such applications do
not really cause significant delays, raising naturally the issue of
whether they deserve a prioritized service or not. For example, a
sensor-generated packet may experience almost-zero delay favored by a
prioritized scheduling scheme, at an almost-zero cost to other
congestive flows. In the same context, a voice application, although it
generates periodic traffic at small rates, experiences delays comparable
with other applications that transfer large data volumes.

In this talk, we discuss a new packet service paradigm, called 'Less
Impact Better Service' (LIBS), which is realized through a novel queuing
discipline, called 'Non-Congestive Queuing' (NCQ). NCQ prioritizes small
packets when conditions permit, and utilizes service thresholds to
confine the delay impact of prioritization on congestive applications.
We show that LIBS and NCQ satisfy more users with diverse demands on
delay and throughput. We obtained both analytical and simulation
results, which are very promising.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,