[Nets-seminars] Seminar tomorrow (26th November) GS/302 4pm

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Tue Nov 25 16:52:54 GMT 2008

Don't forget tomorrow's seminar in EE by Lefteris Mamatas.

Differentiating Services with Non-Congestive Queuing (NCQ)

Abstract:
Typical scheduling paradigms of packet networks do not match well the
requirements of non-congestive applications, which transmit minor data
volumes but suffer, however, major queuing delays. Such applications do not
really cause significant delays, raising naturally the issue of whether
they deserve a prioritized service or not. For example, a sensor-generated
packet may experience almost-zero delay favored by a prioritized scheduling
scheme, at an almost-zero cost to other congestive flows. In the same
context, a voice application, although it generates periodic traffic at
small rates, experiences delays comparable with other applications that
transfer large data volumes.

In this talk, we discuss a new packet service paradigm, called 'Less Impact
Better Service' (LIBS), which is realized through a novel queuing
discipline, called 'Non-Congestive Queuing' (NCQ). NCQ prioritizes small
packets when conditions permit, and utilizes service thresholds to confine
the delay impact of prioritization on congestive applications. We show that
LIBS and NCQ satisfy more users with diverse demands on delay and
throughput. We obtained both analytical and simulation results, which are
very promising.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,