[Nets-seminars] Seminar 28th March GS/302 4pm

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Mar 20 19:22:54 GMT 2009

Don't forget next Friday's seminar.  Ioannis Psaras from Surrey will be
visiting to talk about DTN.

Title: DTN RoadTax: Roadmap and Taxonomy for DTN Research
======

Abstract:
=========

DTN research is the ultimate hot topic for networking research nowadays.
Researchers are struggling to identify ways to network places and devices
that currently do not have the option of "going" online. In contrast to
conventional Internet communications, where connectivity is ubiquitous, in
DTNs end-to-end connectivity is the exception rather than the rule.
Therefore, DTN nodes need to exploit store-carry-and-forward techniques in
order to deliver messages to their destination.

Originally, DTN research began from the InterPlaNetary (IPN) Internet, but
later on researchers identified more environments where
Delay-/Disruption-Tolerant Networking may be applicable. Some examples, are
VANETs, underwater communications, social networks, providing connectivity
to developing countries, just to name a few.

Although the "killer app" for DTNs is not yet known, some of the potential
applications of interest may very well be e-mail, web, telemetry and
telecomand, road traffic management, health monitoring etc. Clearly,
architecture and application heterogeneity pose huge difficulties for the
design of algorithms and protocols for DTN environments. The DTN research
community, however, has not considered this heterogeneity yet, leading to
research proposals that may only partly be applicable to DTN environments.

In this talk, we'll try to identify what is still missing in order to make
DTN research applicable in real terms. In our opinion, the roadmap to
success is a "taxonomization" of DTN environments/architectures, followed
by the identification of the corresponding challenges and the definition of
the appropriate metrics, topologies and evaluation methodologies. We'll
attempt to provide initial insights on that direction by defining service
targets and system constraints for the whole spectrum of potential DTN
deployments. Finally, we'll point out avenues for future research.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,