[Nets-seminars] Seminar tomorrow 27th Feb GS/302

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Thu Mar 26 20:28:59 GMT 2009

Tomorrow we have Ioannis Psaras from Surrey talking about Delay Tolerant
Networks.

Title: DTN RoadTax: Roadmap and Taxonomy for DTN Research
======

Abstract:
=========

DTN research is the ultimate hot topic for networking research nowadays.
Researchers are struggling to identify ways to network places and
devices that currently do not have the option of "going" online. In
contrast to conventional Internet communications, where connectivity is
ubiquitous, in DTNs end-to-end connectivity is the exception rather than
the rule. Therefore, DTN nodes need to exploit store-carry-and-forward
techniques in order to deliver messages to their destination.

Originally, DTN research began from the InterPlaNetary (IPN) Internet,
but later on researchers identified more environments where
Delay-/Disruption-Tolerant Networking may be applicable. Some examples,
are VANETs, underwater communications, social networks, providing
connectivity to developing countries, just to name a few.

Although the "killer app" for DTNs is not yet known, some of the
potential applications of interest may very well be e-mail, web,
telemetry and telecomand, road traffic management, health monitoring
etc. Clearly, architecture and application heterogeneity pose huge
difficulties for the design of algorithms and protocols for DTN
environments. The DTN research community, however, has not considered
this heterogeneity yet, leading to research proposals that may only
partly be applicable to DTN environments.

In this talk, we'll try to identify what is still missing in order to
make DTN research applicable in real terms. In our opinion, the roadmap
to success is a "taxonomization" of DTN environments/architectures,
followed by the identification of the corresponding challenges and the
definition of the appropriate metrics, topologies and evaluation
methodologies. We'll attempt to provide initial insights on that
direction by defining service targets and system constraints for the
whole spectrum of potential DTN deployments. Finally, we'll point out
avenues for future research.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,