[Nets-seminars] Talk today at 16:00 GS/302

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 7 13:36:01 BST 2010

Don't forget today's guest speaker Richard Mortier from Nottingham.

Multiscale not Multicore: Efficient Heterogeneous Cloud Computing

abstract:

In this paper, we present a vision of the future of heterogeneous cloud
computing. Ours is a cleanslate approach, sweeping away decades of accreted
system software. We believe the advent of the latest technology
discontinuity - the move to the virtual cloud - makes this a necessary step
to take, but one capable of delivering significant benefits in the
security, reliability and efficiency of our digital infrastructure at all
scales.

We motivate this vision by presenting two challenges arising in different
fields yet with fundamental commonalities best addressed by a unifying
software platform supporting devices ranging from virtual servers in the
cloud, through desktops, to mobile smartphones. After drawing out this
common ground, we describe our solution and its benefits. We then describe
the initial steps we have taken toward our solution, the Mirage framework,
as well as ongoing future work.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,