[Nets-seminars] Seminar today 16:00 GS/006

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Feb 18 13:40:36 GMT 2011

Please note the change of room.

Christopher Pluntke (UCL, EE) "Resilient and Energy Efficient Scheduling
for Mobile Devices using Multipath TCP"

Mobile phones are equipped with multiple data interfaces having different
characteristics in terms of power, throughput, delay, transfer cost, and
resilience. In order to optimise network and device performance for energy
efficiency while aiming for high throughput, low delay, and low cost for end
users, it is natural to use multipath load balancing on all interfaces.
Previous work extensively covered the problem of optimal scheduling on the
uplink and optimal scheduling on the up- and downlink but with major
infrastructural changes. This talk considers the problem of optimal scheduling
on the up- and downlink without infrastructural changes and without
interrupting ongoing flows in order to minimise energy per bit while
guaranteeing high connectivity.

The problem consists of two parts: Finding a suitable multipath transport
protocol and proposing a well-performing scheduler for the multipath
transmission. Previous work has identified multipath TCP (MPTCP) as a good
solution for seamless load balancing. We propose an architecture for multipath
TCP capable mobile phones using an MPTCP enabled proxy server for load
balancing. The interface scheduler for the mobile phone is derived by solving
a Markov decision problem given power models for the interfaces described as
finite state machines and an application throughput model. We show that by
having the choice between two or more interfaces for downlink flows, we are
not only able to improve resilience against failures, but we are also saving
energy in comparison to using any single interface exclusively.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,