[Nets-seminars] Talk Friday 8th June UCL electronic Engineering

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Thu Jun 7 15:38:35 BST 2012

Tommorow's talk (8th June) is at 16:00 in GS/302. The speaker is Raul
Landa from UCL Electronic Engineering.

ENVISION: The Large-scale Geography of Internet Round Trip Times

This is the second of two talks arising from research in the EU project
ENVISION. In this talk we present a model for the analysis of Internet
round trip times (RTT) and its relationship with other geographic and
network properties. This model is based on a novel RTT dataset
comprising ∼19 million measurements between ∼54 thousand measurement
points. Our first contribution is a procedure for the geographic
analysis of RTT that allows the recovery of large-scale routing
information. We accomplish this by investigating RTT on the basis of
disjoint, large-scale geographic components. By applying a novel
median-based, least-squares fitting algorithm to traffic flows between
these components, we analyse their RTT\distance behaviour and compute a
large-scale routing excess that quantifies the extra distance beyond the
great circle that packets traverse when they flow between large-scale
geographic areas. Our second contribution is an information-theoretical
analysis that allows us to determine the amount of information that a
given subset of geographic or network variables (such as RTT or great
circle distance) gives about any other variable of interest. We then
provide bounds on the error that can be expected when using this subset
of variables to estimate the value of the variable of interest.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,