[Nets-seminars] UCL EE talk June 15th 2012

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Sat Jun 9 19:14:31 BST 2012

Talk 16:00 15th June 2012 in GS/302 66-72 Gower Street.

We are lucky enough to have Georgios Smaragdakis back to visit us again,
this time giving a talk based upon his paper from this year's SIGMETRICS.

Title:
------
"Content-aware Traffic Engineering"

by:
Georgios Smaragdakis, Deutsche Telekom Labs/TU Berlin

Joint work with Benjamin Frank, Ingmar Poese, Steve Uhlig, and Anja Feldmann

Abstract:
---------
Today, a large fraction of Internet traffic is originated by Content
Providers (CPs) such as content distribution networks and hyper-giants.
To cope with the increasing demand for content, CPs deploy massively
distributed infrastructures. This poses new challenges for CPs as they
have to dynamically map end-users to appropriate servers, without being
fully aware of network conditions within an ISP as well as the end-users
network locations. Furthermore, ISPs struggle to cope with rapid traffic
shifts caused by the dynamic server selection process of CPs.

In this talk, we argue that the challenges that CPs and ISPs face
separately today can be turned into an opportunity. We show how they can
jointly take advantage of the deployed distributed infrastructures to
improve their operation and end-user performance. We propose
Content-aware Traffic Engineering (CaTE), which dynamically adapts the
traffic demand for content hosted on CPs by utilizing ISP network
information and end-user location during the server selection process.
As a result, CPs enhance their end-user to server mapping and improve
end-user experience, thanks to the ability of network-informed server
selection to circumvent network bottlenecks. In addition, ISPs gain the
ability to partially influence the traffic demands in their networks.
Our results with operational data show improvements in path length and
delay between end-user and the assigned CP server, network wide traffic
reduction of up to 15%, and a decrease in ISP link utilization of up to
40% when applying CaTE to traffic delivered by a small number of major CPs.

Bio:
----
Georgios Smaragdakis is a Senior Research Scientist at Telekom
Innovation Laboratories and the Technical University of Berlin, Germany.
He received the Ph.D. degree in computer science from Boston University,
USA, the Diploma in electronic and computer engineering from the
Technical University of Crete, Greece, and he interned at Telefonica
Research, Barcelona, Spain. His research interests include the
measurement, performance analysis and optimization of content
distribution systems and overlay networks with main applications in
overlay network creation and maintenance, service deployment, server
selection, network storage management, distributed caching, and
ISP-Application collaboration. Dr. Smaragdakis received the ACM IMC 2011
best paper award for his work on web content cartography.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,