[Nets-seminars] Talk next friday

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Oct 19 17:53:07 BST 2012

Next week's talk is on 26th October in our new reguar venue of GS/102
(fewer stairs for you to climb up).  The time is 16:00 as usual.  The
speaker is Lorenzo Saino.

*Title:*
CCTCP: A Scalable Receiver-driven Congestion Control Protocol for
Content Centric Networking

*Abstract:**
*Content Centric Networking (CCN) is a recently proposed
information-centric Internet architecture in which the main network
abstraction is represented by location-agnostic content identifiers
instead of node identifiers. In CCN each content object is divided into
packet-size chunks. When a content object is transferred, routers on the
path can cache single chunks which they can use to serve subsequent
requests from other users.

Since content chunks in CCN may be retrieved from a number of different
nodes/caches, implicit-feedback transport protocols will not be able to
work efficiently, because it is not possible to set an appropriate
timeout value based on RTT estimations given that the data source may
change frequently during a flow.

In order to address this problem, we propose in this paper a scalable,
implicit-feedback congestion control protocol, capable of coping with
RTT unpredictability using a novel anticipated interest mechanism to
predict the location of chunks before they are actually served. Our
evaluation shows that our protocol outperforms similar receiver-driven
protocols, in particular when content chunks are scattered across
network paths due to reduced cache sizes, long-tail content popularity
distribution or the adoption of specific caching policies.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,