[Nets-seminars] Next Friday's seminar

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri Jan 24 15:45:36 GMT 2014

Next Friday 31st February our speaker is George Parisis from Sussex.
The talk is on 31st January at 16:00 in the main Engineering Building
room 807 -- if you are not a member of UCL staff please let me know so I
can arrange access.  There have been a couple of changes to speakers
this term (see order at the bottom of this email).

Title:
Trevi: Watering Down Storage Hotspots with Cool Fountain Codes

Abstract:
Datacenter networking has brought high-performance storage systems'
research to the foreground once again. Many modern storage systems are
built with commodity hardware and TCP/IP networking to save costs. In
this talk, I will highlight a group of problems that are present in such
storage systems and which are all related to the use of TCP. As an
alternative, I will discuss Trevi: a fountain coding-based approach for
distributing I/O requests that promises to overcome these problems while
still efficiently scheduling resources across both networking and
storage layers. I will also discuss how receiver-driven flow and
congestion control, in combination with fountain coding, can guide the
design of Trevi and provide a viable alternative to TCP for datacenter
storage.

Bio:
BSc, Msc, PhD - Department of Informatics, Athens University of
Economics and Business
Post-doc - Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Interests - Datacentre Networking and Storage, Information-centric
Networking
Now - Lecturer in Computer Science, University of Sussex

  * 31st January (Room change, Barlow Room, 807) -- George Parisis
    (Sussex) Watering Down Storage Hotspots with Cool Fountain Codes

  * 14th February (Room change, Barlow Room, 807) -- James Sterbenz
    (Kansas/Lancaster)

  * 28th February (Room change, Barlow Room, 807) -- George
    Xylomenos (Athens University of Economics and Business) Reducing
    Forwarding State in Content-Centric Networks with Semi-Stateless
    Forwarding
  * 14th March -- George Smart (UCL, EE) Decentralized Time-Synchronized
    Channel Swapping for Wireless Sensor Networks

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,