[Nets-seminars] EE talk tomorrow

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Thu Jan 30 13:48:18 GMT 2014

Don't forget tomorrow (Fri 31st) talk, 16:00 by George Parisis from
Sussex.  The talk is *NOT* in the usual venue -- it is in room 807
Roberts Building (the Barlow room).  A full schedule of talks is below.

Title:
Trevi: Watering Down Storage Hotspots with Cool Fountain Codes

Abstract:
Datacenter networking has brought high-performance storage systems'
research to the foreground once again. Many modern storage systems are
built with commodity hardware and TCP/IP networking to save costs. In
this talk, I will highlight a group of problems that are present in such
storage systems and which are all related to the use of TCP. As an
alternative, I will discuss Trevi: a fountain coding-based approach for
distributing I/O requests that promises to overcome these problems while
still efficiently scheduling resources across both networking and
storage layers. I will also discuss how receiver-driven flow and
congestion control, in combination with fountain coding, can guide the
design of Trevi and provide a viable alternative to TCP for datacenter
storage.

Bio:
BSc, Msc, PhD - Department of Informatics, Athens University of
Economics and Business
Post-doc - Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Interests - Datacentre Networking and Storage, Information-centric
Networking
now - Lecturer in Computer Science, University of Sussex

----
Talk schedule.

31st January (Room change, Barlow Room, 807) -- George Parisis (Sussex)
Watering Down Storage Hotspots with Cool Fountain Codes
14th February (Room change, Barlow Room, 807, time change talk at 16:30)
-- James Sterbenz (Kansas/Lancaster)
28th February (Room change, Barlow Room, 807) -- George Xylomenos
(Athens University of Economics and Business) Reducing Forwarding State
in Content-Centric Networks with Semi-Stateless Forwarding
14th March -- George Smart (UCL, EE) Decentralized Time-Synchronized
Channel Swapping for Wireless Sensor Networks

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,