[Sumover-dev] scalability

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Jul 26 17:21:44 BST 2008

Hi Marc,

The IETF used to multicast the WG sessions using RAT (or maybe using
VAT?) and VIC at one point - but given the lack of global multicast
deployment they moved towards a a unicast solution. They did use a
number of different system on the way - included end system multicast
and I think they now just unicast stream the audio (one way) from a
handful of sessions. There are Jabber rooms for most of the meetings
which can be of benefit.

As brian mentions it is tricky to have alot of people (which is the
case in some WG meetings - e.g SIP) - the interaction model just
doesn't make it good enough compared with direct contact. Basically if
people are interested enough in the subject to want to provide input
then they attend the meeting.

Saying that I think AccessGrid (and other forms of networked
communication) do have their place. AG is great for connecting rooms
for lectures and [not-too-large] meetings.

Piers