[Sumover-dev] Retrieving a user's video data

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 15:07:58 GMT 2008

Hi Thibault,

I'm not sure if you my previous email on this subject but here's some
more info: Basically you need to obtain the data after it has been
decompressed by the codec. The head_->video_data() data structure is
not used in VIC's normal operation (it is only used when lip sync is
in operation - It currently doesn't work properly). If you have a look
at  (I've just added a new section on the renderers):
http://frostie.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/wiki/VicDev
You can see what the normal course of events is function by function
for receiving packets. As I mentioned I think the best approach would
be to copy one of the existing renders - then ensure that it is chosen
on start up by VIC (see my wiki page) or via some command line switch,
vic resource, or environment variable etc. This render could just
extract the video data and pass it to your tcl3d function.

For testing you could just modify the colour-scale.cpp renderer to
pass the video to the tcl3d function using tcl.evalc("your_3d_func"),
though I wouldn't recommend it for proper use as it will slow things
down.

Piers.