[Sumover-dev] Re: Vic H264 compilation issues

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 19 00:13:08 GMT 2009

Hi Piers,

> I think this is probably down to differences between different
> versions of ffmpeg - it seems that the latest versions (which I was
> using) of ffmpeg from svn (r17944 - r18038) no longer contain the
> -enable-swscaler configure option (its isn't present in the configure
> file) and swscaler is now built by default. However the ffmpeg-0.5
> release does include the --enable-swscale configure option. Does that
> help to explain the problem?

I think that does explain it.

> I think enable-swscale should probably be put back into configure as I
> think the suggestion of using the 0.5 release is best as otherwise
> we'll keep having to fix vic whenever ffmpeg changes.

Sounds good to me.

> It's shame that there's a problem with Xvideo and Xineramma - is there
> any workaround? The performance without Xvideo on Linux is
> dramatically worse above CIF resolutions - my dual CPU machine could
> not keep up with a VGA resolution H264 stream when not using Xvideo,
> however with it enabled it was able to comfortably decode up to
> 960x720....

The other issue was that Xvideo VIC used to crash with onboard Intel
graphics, things might have changed with newer X.org drivers. I'll look
into the Xvideo issue some more, it's been a while since I enabled it.
I'm guessing the Xvideo detection might need to be made a bit more
smarter would be the workaround.

Cheers,
Doug