[Sumover-dev] Possibly memory leak in UCL common/compiling VPMedia against UCL common

Andrew Ford andrew.ford at rit.edu
Mon Jan 10 18:03:29 GMT 2011

Hi,

I've been having some issues (on Linux, Ubuntu 10.10) with my video app that
relies on VPMedia & the common library. There's a massive memory leak when I
tried to switch from using the if-media library to the UCL library - based
on some quick valgrind runs it seems to be in rtp_recv. I'm not totally sure
yet whether this is actually a problem in the UCL library or if something in
VPMedia needs to be changed, I'll be investigating this a bit deeper soon.

I thought I saw some reference in the VPMedia SVN log to compiling against
UCL common, but I'm not sure if that was fully tested, since on a normal
install, the if-media include files (assuming prefix is /usr/local) actually
installs to /usr/local/include/common whereas the UCL version goes to
/usr/local/include/uclmmbase, and VPMedia includes files from common/. I
changed the includes to point to the right spot before confirming my tests
above, so that's not the problem.

Side note - should client apps now directly include uclconf.h? It seems like
the if-media version had an #ifdef to include it in certain cases (via
config_unix or config_win32) but the most recent UCL code doesn't, so I had
to add that manually to VPMedia or else it would complain about things like
a #def for endianness not being set.

Also, it looks like the make install target in UCL common doesn't actually
copy the static version of the lib (.a), even if static is enabled and it
has been built. I haven't checked the specifics in the makefile yet.

--Andrew