[Sumover-dev] Make vic compile and usable on OpenBSD

Sebastian Reitenbach sebastia at l00-bugdead-prods.de
Wed Jul 20 14:45:45 BST 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 14:49 CEST, Douglas Kosovic <doug at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>

> >> The patch looks fine except for -luclmmbase being replaced with ../common/src/libuclmmbase.a for the linking. Did you have to do that because OpenBSD comes with an older system libuclmmbase.so (or .a)  file?
> >
> > thanks for your answer.
> >
> > The reason for this ugly thing was because when it came to the linking state, gcc told me that it was unable to find -luclmmbase
> > I have seen a libuclmmbase.so.X in common/src/.libs/, but if I've seen it right, there was no -L../common/src/.libs/ parameter.
> > I was a bit unsure how to resolve it the right way, either point to the static archive, or put the -L somewhere.
>
> There should be a common/src/libuclmmbase.a (which is there for historical reasons and a number of packages expect it to be in there).  LDFLAGS in Makefile.in is also suppose to be instantiated to include "-L../common/src" .

I've seen this -L../common/src, but it did not picked up the static library with the -luclmmbase

> I suspect the GNU libtool that comes with the common source code might be doing something wrong. I'll try and build vic on OpenBSD with your patches and get back to you.

I actually used the OpenBSD ports infrastructure to get it installed.

> > I have another question regarding audio (I only tried to transmit video yet). Is vic implicitly using rat for that, or does it have own capabilities to capture and play audio?
> > Since to be able to share the audio device with other applications, it would need to be ported to use the OpenBSD sndio interface, instead of using oss for example.
> > I've seen rat has a auddev_oss.c, I guess I'd need to take a look into it, and create a auddev_sndio.[h|c].
> > Just wanted to make sure that I'm on the right track.
>

> VIC is exclusively for  video and RAT is exclusively for audio.
>
> I agree with what you say about OSS and not being able to share the audio device.
>
> There is a RAT OpenAL port for MacOS X (but not committed in svn yet), not sure if OpenBSD supports OpenAL, but that might be another option.

There is openal in the ports tree, it seems to support sndio. But as it seems, the sndio patch did not made it upstream, since its still bundled in the port.

Is there maybe a bug report in the track where I could grab the patch?

thanks,
Sebastian