[Sumover-tech] How to run a multicast node

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 10:40:27 BST 2008

Hi Marc,

I wasn't clear if you needed IPv6 multicast or just IPv4?

http://openvpn.net/ can provide for connectivity of ipv4 and 6
multicast - Though you could always just run AG in unicast mode.
However with openVPN if you want to provide connectivity to other
hosts then you will need some sort of igmp/mld proxy or router - the
mrd6 would provide router functionality.

Another approach could be use mobile-ipv6 and this:
http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~jelger/MLD/MLD_Proxy_Main.htm

Things also depend on how you're planning on connecting to the
multicast network and whether you're permitted to peer with it
directly - if so you could just set up a tunnel and then run an IPv6
multicast router (eg mrd6). If not you need to run an MLD proxy - it's
not clear whether mrd6 provide MLD proxy functiionality - YOu'd have
to look at it more closely yourself.

There appears to be an oldish IGMP proxy here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy
Where seems to be available as a package in openwrt:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/net/igmpproxy

Piers.