[Sumover-tech] How to run a multicast node

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Mon Apr 14 21:56:37 BST 2008

> Hi Marc,
>
> I wasn't clear if you needed IPv6 multicast or just IPv4?

hi Piers, doug , all

sorry for the delay , i mean ip6 though:)

> http://openvpn.net/ can provide for connectivity of ipv4 and 6
> multicast - Though you could always just run AG in unicast mode.
> However with openVPN if you want to provide connectivity to other
> hosts then you will need some sort of igmp/mld proxy or router - the
> mrd6 would provide router functionality.

yes , thats what i found out,

it looks like  "mrd6 " is even working with  linksys WRT54g or Asus WL
500 Premium

i just had some problems  because it needs a  special library

mrd6: can't load library 'libuClibc++.so.0'

libuclibc++_0.2.2-7_mipsel.ipk

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable/libuclibc++_0.2.2-7_mipsel.ipk

but i will dig into this , looks like a VPN thingy.....

> Another approach could be use mobile-ipv6 and this:
> http://www-r2.u-strasbg.fr/~jelger/MLD/MLD_Proxy_Main.htm
>
> Things also depend on how you're planning on connecting to the
> multicast network and whether you're permitted to peer with it
> directly - if so you could just set up a tunnel and then run an IPv6
> multicast router (eg mrd6).

I will able to get multicast connectivity from another
network because the Pop from my tunnelbroker sixxs has no connection
to the m6bone. <http://www.sixxs.net/pops/easynet/>

> If not you need to run an MLD proxy - it's
> not clear whether mrd6 provide MLD proxy functiionality - YOu'd have
> to look at it more closely yourself.
>
> There appears to be an oldish IGMP proxy here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy
> Where seems to be available as a package in openwrt:
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/net/igmpproxy

>> <http://beacon.dast.nlanr.net/>    ?
>
> The AG3.x Venue client has a built-in beacon, i.e. button on the
> VenueClient toolbar.
>
> The NLANR/DAST beacon project is no longer being developed, while
> dbeacon is. Many AccessGrid sites run both.

ok, thanks!!

>> any insights would be greatly appreciated
>
> I often use the tool 'mtrace' to determine which hop in the
> multicast route is broken, I suspect the FreeBSD version of mtrace
> could be build on MacOSX.

thats  the tool what i found in ssmping , great to know, thanks!!

thanks for your time and your helpful links

Marc