[Iccrg] draft-irtf-iccrg-welzl-congestion-control-open-research-00.txt

Dirceu Cavendish dirceu_cavendish at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 03:09:12 BST 2007

Dimitri,

Comments on my first pass on you document follows. Quick question: is the document main purpose to only raise CC questions/issues? Or to also eventually capture/document answers to those issues?

Rgds,
Dirceu
***Comments:draft-irtf-iccrg-welzl-congestion-control-open-research-00.txt

General comments:
1- There should be a session "CC objectives", discussing previous
(e.g. TCP) and what is understood to be current/modern CC objectives.
For instance, retransmission avoidance and stability were not previous
objectives. Also, RTT fairness was not a concern in previous TCPs.
As it is, the objectives are scattered all over the document
(e.g., session 3.1.1). The clearer the objectives are, the easier the text
discussion it will be.

2- The document starts with router support as its first challenging topic.
Assuming a low to high level of complexity organization, the first
challenge should embrace address CC schemes that do not involve router
support at all. For instance, what are the limitation of CC schemes that
do not have router support. How much can routers "get in the way" of
such cc schemes. Another challenge/topic should be cc with support for
specific applications' requirements (quick ramp up, no/minimum retransmissions, etc).

3- The material strikes to me to be biased towards new CC protocols with
router support. It would be nice to have the "no router support" in the discussions
of the various topics. For instance, "3.6 Challenge 6: Multi-domain Congestion Control"
material assumes entirely ECN. An interesting question could be: "What type of CC
can we have that does not rely on router support?"

"With increasing the per-flow bandwidth-delay product increases,
      ~~~~~~~~~~                                                   ~~~~~~~~~
TCP
   becomes inefficient and prone to instability, regardless of the
   queuing scheme. XCP, which generalizes ECN, has been developed to
   address these issues, using per-packet feedback. By decoupling
   resource utilization/congestion control from fairness control, XCP
   outperforms TCP in conventional and high bandwidth-delay
   environments, and remains efficient, fair, scalable, and stable
   regardless of the link capacity, the round trip delay, and the number
   of sources."

"[PAP02] shows that when flows with different RTTs are applied, XCP
   sometimes discriminates among heterogeneous traffic flows, even if
                                                                                        ~~~~~~~
   XCP is generally fair to different flows even if they belong to
                                                        ~~~~~~~
   significantly heterogeneous flows."
"- Is it possible to design robust mechanisms that offer significant
     benefits without additional risks?"
                                 ~~~~~ additional risks, or drawbacks?
"procedures one the one end, and additional per packet processing on
           ~~~ on
   the other end of the solution space."
"The congestion control algorithms have to deal with this variety in
                                                                                       ~~~^~~~ of conditions
   an efficient way."

"In-band signaling can be considered to be an appropriate choice:
   Since notifications are piggy-packet along with data traffic, there
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~ piggybacked?
   is less overhead and implementation complexity remains limited. Path-
   coupled out-of-band signaling could however be possible, too."

3.3 Challenge 3: Corruption Loss
    "The IETF has not yet specified how a congestion control mechanism
   should react to corruption."
To me, transport layer CC reaction to corruption loss is a layer violation.
I am not a purist on OSI layering, but there are practical consequences to
layering violation. For instance, is L4CC to react to the corruption on
every L2? If yes, should there be an standard way of L2/L3 to report upward
packet/frame corruption? Should (and could) there be a single reaction way
from a L4CC point of view to packet corruption?

3.5 Challenge 5: Pseudo-Wires
I think that when discussing different types of traffic, such as TDM, it should
be mentioned how traffic priorities can be played into the problem. This is
because indeed priority bits are available as a helper to differentiate packet
delivery/interference. For instance, in the example of a second P2, TDM traffic could
be mapped into a higher priority traffic, in a scenario where INTENTIONALLY P2 wants
to squeeze "regular" TCP streams out if needed be. This is what traffic engineering
is about, and it should not be ruled out as unlawful as TCP unfriendly. OF course,
in this case, P2 would receive packets from P1 with their TOS/diffserv bits set
accordingly.

3.6 Challenge 6: Multi-domain Congestion Control
There seems to be a bias in the discussion towards explicit support of routers.
Besides the multi-domain CC example mentioned earlier, implicit feedback could do
away with proxy/gateway concerns on explicit feedback information across domains.
3.7 Challenge 7: Precedence for Elastic Traffic
"The idea to distinguish several classes of best-effort traffic dates
                                                                ~~~~~(drop)
   is rather old, since it would be beneficial to address the relative
   delay sensitivities of different elastic applications."