[Iccrg] SSDT contributions

Michael Scharf michael.scharf at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Apr 11 09:23:39 BST 2008

The "slowness" of slow-start is quite well-understood and has been
studied various times in the last decate (e. g., Heidemann et. al. in
1997).

I have the impression that the slow-start delay is also one reason for
the widespread deployment of certain middleboxes (WAN optimizers), for
instance, in enterprise networks. But I am not aware of much published
work on this issue.

The potential benefit of new schemes such as quick-start or jump-start
has recently been demonstrated in a number of publications. Our own
experiments suggest that there can be a user-perceivable improvement
if the RTT is of the order of 200ms. But, of course, it also depends a
lot on the communication pattern of the application.

So far, I've not studied in detail to which extent more aggressive
schemes increase the risk of buffer overshooting. In case of Linux
end-systems, the default packet buffers are rather large and can thus
accommodate some burstiness.

Michael