[Sumover-dev] feedback and bug reports, where should they go?

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Sat Jun 2 01:59:28 BST 2007

Hi Piers,

> > I'm going to post an email to the ag-tech mailing list about Fedora 7 AG
> > RPMs being available (but will wait till Monday when I've also built the
> > x86-64 RPMs) and that SVN snapshots from the SUMOVER Project are now
> > used for vic and rat.
> >
> Sounds good - though we're hoping to do a release with ANL new version
> of AG very soon - it may be worth waiting till then and we can release
> a common version? Otherwise you can do preliminary release followed by
> the ANL ones.

It won't be possible to wait till AG 3.1 is released as people are
downloading Fedora 7 and wanting to run AG 2.4 and 3.0.2. I don't bundle
vic and rat like ANL does with their installer, I use separate RPMs and
use yum RPM repositories to manage them.

The SVN snapshots of vic and rat are just for Fedora 7, I'll wait till
the final versions are released before adding them to the i386 and
x86-64 yum AG repositories for the earlier Fedora Core versions. The
Fedora 7 users will be able to do a yum update to retrieve the final vic
and rat RPM versions once available.

Might be best if I don't announce the Fedora 7 AG 2.4 and 3.0.2 RPMs on
the ag-tech mailing list. Fedora 7 introduced a number of new
dependencies (like python 2.5, wxPython 2.8, etc) which may or may not
introduce stability issues. Those people that want to live with the
cutting edge will be installing Fedora 7 regardless, but if I announce
it, more AG users might migrate to Fedora 7 earlier than they would
normally consider. I'll just put some info up on my AG3 Fedora RPM
website.

> Are you going in include the GPL features in your releases?

Currently I'm not using the --enable-gpl configure switch with the SVN
snapshot, but was thinking of doing so, especially if ANL does.

AG 2.4 and AG 3.0.2 have no option to select anything other than H.261,
I'm not sure if AG 3.1 will. The swscale stuff makes the H.261 look
better at least.

The only GPL code I definitely won't enable at this moment is the XVideo
renderer code taken mostly from VLC. I've only had partial success with
the nVidia binary driver and it fails miserably with onboard Intel
graphics. I think it might work better with the nVidia binary driver if
you don't use the OpenGL based Compiz window manager.

> I think that we will use Trac for tickets and continue to use the
> original maillists for bug reports and tools specific discussions
> (rat-users at cs.ucl.ac.uk, rat-trap at cs.ucl.ac.uk and vic at cs.ucl.ac.uk),
> whilst sumover-tech is for higher level stuff and project specific
> stuff. I guess I'm thinking that the sumover project won't be around
> for ever so maintaining the tools specific maillists is better. We're
> hoping we'll get some more funding from somewhere...

Okay, makes sense.

> > I notice the create new ticket web form has no 4.4.00, 1.3.0 (or
> > 2.8ucl1.3.0), "SVN trunk" and "mpeg4 SVN branch" for the version field,
> > perhaps there ought to be?
> >
> Good point - I've added them now. I'm also planning to merge the mpeg4
> branch into the mainline so we won't need to keep the mpeg brach for
> much longer.

Cool, thanks.

Cheers,
Doug