[Sumover-tech] question about NV , VIC, Rat and licences

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Jul 16 13:10:50 BST 2007

Hi Marc,

> While i was researching for useful code for my project,
> i found a project called  "xcast"   <http://www.xcast.jp>
>
> it uses VIC and RAT sources and some specific patches.
>
> My question is , there seems to be a lot more restrictive licence in "
> NV"
>
> http://raidlab.cs.purdue.edu/cs641/tools/nv.htm
>
> there is a remark in the source that says "research and evaluation
> purposes"
>
> When i would use VIC and RAT i just need to mention the author/
> university.

VIC and RAT use a variation of the 4 clause BSD license which has the
advertising clause requiring authors of all works deriving from a
BSD-licensed work to include an acknowledgment of the original source.

> Could someone explain the difference between NV and VIC ?

VIC is backwards compatible with NV, on the command-line you can use
'-A nv" to use the variant of RTPv1 used by NV and
'-f nv" to use NV's video codec.

I'm guessing Xerox PARC's Network Video hasn't been maintained in years,
unlike UCL vic.

Cheers,
Doug